About a month ago, Kate was diagnosed with breast cancer. I've created this group as a clearing house of information and ideas regarding Kate's progress in her fight against breast cancer.
We are truly grateful for all our caring friends and want to keep everyone up to date on what's going on. However,it can be a little daunting to make sure that all of our friends are caught up on where she's at, so I decided it would be a good idea to just update in one place. Everything is developing so quickly that it's hard to answer everyone's questions, so hopefully this will be a good resource for our friends to check in and see how things are going.
I'm also fielding some of the discussion to give Kate a break from having to think her situation all the time. This doesn't mean she doesn't want to hear from everyone, because she does. The warm wishes and good energy's really been incredible. It. just helps cut down on the repetition.

Friday, September 30, 2011

Kate's Cancer VII

Well, that was rough.
We spent most of the day Monday at MGH, getting blood work done, getting flu shots (myself as well, because the chemo will impair Kate's immune system for periods of time after the infusion), and then hanging out for a few hours while she takes the IV's. She such a sweet person and it's incredible to watch her soldier through, but it's also harrowing for me because I can't punch or beat anyone or thing that's causing her to feel bad.
Anyway, it made her pretty sick. At first we thought it was nausea keeping her up, but over time as she told me her symptoms I realized she was suffering from acid reflux, which is a symptom they did warn about or we missed it in the hail of information that been thrown at us. I suffered for about a year with bouts of it, eventually being rid of it after being put on Prilosec. I got her to check with MGH and they said Pepcid and Prilosec were OK and with that I loaded her up and it seems to have helped along with time. Next time I'm having her get on the Prilosec 2 days before and keep a healthy supply of the Pepcid on hand.
Fluids taste weird to her and she's been busy trying to navigate her frequently changing palate. Particularly for the 72 hours following chemo, she's got to take a minimum of 64 oz.'s of fluids, which has been doable, but a challenge.
Today we go to get her to the barber to get her hair even shorter. They say two weeks after it comes out. With that, I've recommended a Tank Girl style. Half inch or so everywhere, with a shock of bangs. Because of the cut, we thought it best that she goes to my barber, who has experience with such short hair.
I was hoping to brew another batch this weekend to blow off steam. A good porter this time. But alas, I think the odor from the wort will be too much. (It just hit me, maybe I could cook it on the grill!)
This morning, she looked so much better. It's a bit lonely when The Kate's out of action and the cats don't quite cut it. Tonight though, I have beer and an Angry Scotsman Tavern.

1 comment:

  1. I've been taking Prilosec for over 2 years. It works good!!!!!!!!!

    I don't know if this helps but anger at things we can't do anything may call for your Uncle Mike's Method. He's normally a level headed guy but I asked him once, "What do you do when something like this is hurting a family member?"

    He says, "I go shopping in a crowded place and you should pity the poor jerk that steps on my toes."

    I never tried it so, I don't know if it works but I have often thought I'd really like to give that one a try.
    You never know, know what I mean?